Mon, Jan 8

So, there was nasty rain today. I could hear the rain on the roof of our back porch - wow, was it coming down!! So, I made myself some Italian coffee. There really is nothing better than Italian coffee in the morning. This is absolutely not Starbucks, people!!

The coffee pot is quite something!! You unscrew the bottom section of the coffee pot and fill it with water (there is a little node to mark where you stop filling the water). Next, you put the metal section that holds the coffee grinds into the bottom and spoon your coffee grinds in. Then you screw the top back on the pot and put the whole thing on the stove. The coffee percolates up into the top section. You can hear it boiling and when you can't hear the boiling anymore, all of the water is now coffee in the upper section!! Remove from heat, grab a demitasse cup (not a big cup - this drinkie-drink is strong), and enjoy with a little sugar and milk. Molto bene!!

Here is the first pot of coffee that I made in our apartment - in process!!


Once I had my coffee and the rain slowed down, I took another walk up and down the Tibre. I didn't bring the camera (in case it started to pour again - don't want to get it wet)...

Oh - one more very important thing - lest I forget... The Director of the University of Washington's Honors Program, Lisa Schultz, shared her list of five rules that you must follow, if you are planning to eat a big Italian dinner. Some rules are logical, some don't seem so logical!! Lisa has many years of experience in Italy, so I trust her on these rules. I will list them here and if you would like to test them out, let me know. We can test them together!!

Here they are:
1. Pace yourself.
2. Eat a big lunch.
3. Drink plenty of water.
4. Oops - Lisa can't remember this one... She'll get back to us.
5. Don't fill up on bread.

Mmmmmmmm... Who's hungry??

We had a wonderful dinner at Stanley and Judy's apartment, near Campo de' Fiori. Stanley is the other - very fun - architecture professor, here for the semester. Judy is his fabulous wife. Stanley and Judy have 2 friends, who are visiting - Fred and Susan from VA. They are great. Judy and Susan were very busy making a delicious dinner for all of us!! We had a wonderful antipasti, followed by a scrumptious minestrone soup. Dave brought a torte di nutella to the dinner - delicious torte, filled with Nutella (a chocolate/hazelnut spread), and finished with an orange liqueur. Wow!!

I had better walk a lot on this trip or I will be gaining weight with all of this yumminess...